Silver-studded Blue

Silver-studded Blue
Silver-studded Blue, Iping Common

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Sussex Walkabout

Chalkhill Blue, Lysandra coridon

Chalkhill Blue, Lysandra coridon

Silver-studded Blue, Plebeius argus

Silver-studded Blue, Plebeius argus

Small Copper, Lycaena phlaeas

Small Copper, Lycaena phlaeas


With the promise of some sun at last I decided to take a day's holiday and tour some of Sussex's Butterfly hotspots. The only decision I had to make was East or West. I plumped for West.

My first stop was Kithurst Hill. What a fantastic place at this time of the year, the meadow was alive with Butterflies! Freshly emerged Chalkhill Blues were everywhere, too many to try and count, ditto Meadow Browns. There were also many Marbled Whites, numerous Small Skippers which I tried to turn into Essex Skippers to no avail, a handful of Large Whites, one Small Blue (second brood), a few Gatekeepers, and one Small Copper. Best of all, and unexpected, were two Dark-green Fritillaries patrolling the lower slope by the hedgerow.

After Kithurst, it was on to Iping Common, I didn't get the chance to see the Silver-studded Blues earlier on in the year but hoped I may catch a few lingerers. In total I counted at least fourteen albeit, fairly worn specimens. Apart from the Blues it was fairly quite, a few Skippers, Meadow Browns and a Speckled Wood.

Next stop, and last of the day, was Southwater Wood in the hope of catching a glimpse of "His Majesty". I parked up at Trout Lane and headed to the Master Oak. Within a few minutes (at 2PM on the dot) a Purple Emperor flitted across the glade, soon after a pair (?) followed along the same path. I didn't have long to wait for another sighting, just five minutes or so. However, they were all flitting, tantilising glimpses. Eventually after a thirty minute wait or so, I saw one land in the Ash and managed to get a record shot. Whilst looking skyward I noticed at least two Purple Hairstreaks in the canopy of the Master Oak, one spiralled downwards but I couldn't keep track of it. Damn! After a brief stroll around the woods I returned to the Master Oak. Where again "His Majesty" made a few fleeting appearances over the next thirty minutes or so. I counted at least three individuals possibly five but hard to say. I also met Dan and his wife who were as chuffed as I was to final catch sight and photograph this elusive Butterfly. I should note also that I also saw one Red Admiral three-to-four Silver-washed Fritillaries, numerous Meadow Browns, Large Whites, Skippers, and one Comma. Notably no White Admirals though.

All in all a good day out butterflying, finally. Total tally for the day sixteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment