Silver-studded Blue

Silver-studded Blue
Silver-studded Blue, Iping Common

Sunday 1 April 2012

Fire on the Downs

Having seen some good reports from Steyning Roundhill over the last few weeks, I thought I'd head up early am to try and see and hopefully photograph Skylark, Corn Bunting, and Yellowhammer. What I did not expect to see was my all time target species, a Firecrest. Having 'twitched' and failed to see a few birds in Sussex recently, I was most surprised to find my own, in the middle of the South Downs. The bird was locating a small patch of scrub just north of where the 2 tracks (leading of the Bostal Road) converge. At first I thought it was a wren but the very prominent eye patch and call (very similar to Goldcrest) without the end florish, gave it away. To top the walk, a very smart male Black Redstart then appeared!

Photos below (please click to view full screen). Hoping to get some better images of the Buntings over the spring months - unfortunately they are difficult birds to get close to to ensure the quality.


Firecrest (Regulus ignicapillus)


 Skylark (Alauda arvensis)
Corn Bunting (Emberiza calandra)

Male Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros)

 Corn Bunting (Emberiza calandra)

 Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella)

No comments:

Post a Comment