Silver-studded Blue

Silver-studded Blue
Silver-studded Blue, Iping Common

Thursday 22 March 2012

Adder that!

As the sun was shining, I headed up to Pulborough Brooks in the hope of seeing some Adders, which had been reported regularly over the last few weeks. Walking around the Brooks in glorious sunshine, my hopes were up and my luck was in, in more ways than I expected. Whilst standing reading the Adder information sign I noticed something out of the corner of my eye, on closer inspection, and to my delight, it was an Adder snakelet, only 20cm in length or so. I saw another 4-5 snakelets but alas no adults. However, these were not to be the highlight, rather a heaving ball of Grass Snakes in the brambles, containing both young and adult snakes. Have never seen anything quite like it. I reckon there were at least 6 snakes but probable more. Who could tell? Some photos below (please click on photo to enlarge/watch slideshow); unfortunately due to the thick bramble, in which the Grass Snakes were found, it was very difficult to get any decent shots for want of a stray twig etc.









Other sightings throughout the day, included a Common Lizard, a mouse of some description (very close to the Grass Snakes so possibly dinner), a bank vole, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, and my first Brimstone of the year (year total now 5). Unfortunately no Firecrests again, next time maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment