Silver-studded Blue

Silver-studded Blue
Silver-studded Blue, Iping Common

Thursday 4 August 2011

Possible Brown Hairstreak near Steyning

Whilst on an after work cycle up to Steyning and back, I took a wrong turn and ended up a farm at the end of Sopers Lane (TQ 17403 09874). It was nearly 8pm and whilst trying to work out where I was and how to get back home before dark, I saw a small brownish-orange coloured butterfly flying quite rapidly high up (at barn height). I cannot be certain but I believe it was a Brown Hairstreak. Having never seen this species I'm hedging my bets a bit (maybe it was just a moth :-)!!) but I am fairly familiar with other Hairstreaks sp. now and this certainly looked similar to those in terms of its size and nature. There was a large clump of bramble close by and some tall trees (I'm afraid I couldn't tell you what they were) but if anyone else is up at this location and can confirm they are present here I would be pleased to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment