Silver-studded Blue

Silver-studded Blue
Silver-studded Blue, Iping Common

Saturday 18 June 2011

Southwater Woods - Part I

Up very early this am with the little one, and as sun shining for a change I thought I head over to Southwater Woods to try catch up with the White Admirals and Silver-washed Fritillaries reported over the last few days. Walking west along the very muddy public bridleway, I spotted my first SWF after 5 minutes or so - 'mud-puddling'! This was going to be a good trip I thought to myself! Alas after another 1hr and half wandering around the wood aimlessly, I had only seen 2 more butterflies, 1 Meadow Brown and 1 Speckled Wood. As I had to report back home, I decided to call it a day and chance my luck another time. Walking back to the car, a little frustrated, I spotted not one but 3 more SWF's feeding on some bramble (allowing some good close-up views), another couple of Meadow Browns and a Speckled Wood. So no White Admirals this time but nonetheless a slightly happier man I returned home!

Also of note, I saw what I believe were Common Spotted Orchids - very pleased when this SWF landed on one of the Orchids(!) - and what I first thought were Orchids but now understand are Marsh Woundwort Stachys palustris (please see below)




Silver Washed Fritillery Argynnis paphia

  Marsh Woundwort Stachys palustris

1 comment:

  1. I love the SWF on the orchid. I think the bottom pic is Marsh Woundwort, Stachys palustris.

    ReplyDelete